Monday, October 29, 2012

6

Sexy Web Design

This reading does a great job at explaining the importance of aesthetics in web design. I thought the examples the author gave of websites that he had worked on to illustrate his points was very helpful.

I also loved his sense of humor, it made the read easy, fun, and informative.

It was helpful that the author went into detail about the design process for creating websites, especially when he explained the different steps a designer has to take when speaking with a client. 

I found it useful that he differentiated the steps and processes between designing for the web and designing for print.


ALA Article: White Space

I did not learn too many new ideas from this article, as I have learned extensively about white space, but it was a good refresher to read about some of the technicalities behind white spacing.

I found it interesting about how the author described his experience in working for a direct mail company and about how he could not use the design techniques that he had learned in school.

When looking at the two examples he gave, it made me feel as though the first design was really not a design, but an unappealing arrangement given little thought. I would find it frustrating to work for a company that WANTED this type of design. I feel as though the direct mail companies and other similar organizations putting out these kinds of designs should save themselves some money and design the collateral themselves, as it would not make much difference aesthetically.


ALA Article: Contrast and Meaning

Again, I found that I was familiar with most of the information within this article.

I liked the diagram <left> that shows the breakdown of contrast in a simple and clever way. 

The bit about exploiting human behavior as graphic designers I found to be comical, and also true. Oh the power we have!!






No comments:

Post a Comment